Due to changes in 2020 by our payment provider, Stripe – we have been asking charities on Givey to update your account with us to follow the latest KYC (know your customer) requirements to protect your charity donations.
We are aware many charities have not done this, so we ask that you update this information ASAP as Stripe need to verify that all the details about you and your charity are true, in order to protect the charities donations. As well as this, the new update prevents cases of fraud and increases transparency when handling donations, which is very important to us, and Stripe. It is essential to complete this update promptly to prevent any disruptions to your payments and payouts to your charity bank account.
For more information about the privacy and security of Stripe alongside the purpose of stripe requests, please follow this link https://support.stripe.com/questions/privacy-and-security-of-personal-information-submitted-to-stripe
Protect Your Donations: How To Begin
You will be required to enter details about your charity identity, trustees, as well as ID proof of the owner/representative of your charity, if this information is not already on your account. Below we have provided you with a simple step-by-step guide on how to navigate the ‘Onboarding’ tab in order to update your Givey account.
“Please note: If you need assistance to update your charity details, please open this FORM, fill in all the details and I will update your account for you. You can also email me on email@example.com”Gemma Harbias (Project Manager | Givey)
- To access the onboarding tab you need to be the ‘owner’ of your charity account on Givey. Begin logging in and clicking on your charity account ‘Settings‘ page where you should find a variety of different tabs (as shown below).
- From here, click on the ‘Onboarding’ tab (see below).
3. Next, click on the red button that says, ‘Complete Onboarding’.
You should now be able to see a host of details regarding your ‘Charity Identity’ for you to fill in.
Charity Details That You May Need To Submit
Before reading the below, note that Stripe have different business jargon to charities. So we have stated below what Stripe say and what that is referring to about your charity.
4. They may require your ‘Legal business name’, which accounts for your charity name.
5. Your ‘Business Registration ’, where you will need to provide proof of your Charities Commission Registration Certificate. If you do not have one the following is acceptable:
- VAT Registration
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Companies House Document
- HMRC: VAT Certificate
- HMRC: Account Statement
- Charity Commission Document
- OSCR Scottish Charity Regulator
Or you can request a Charity Commission Registration Certificate here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/get-a-charity-registration-certificate
6. They will also require your ‘Company House Registration Number (CRN)’, more widely known as your Charity Registration Number.
7. Then your ‘Registered business address’ (charity address).
Identity Details That You May Need To Submit
8. Next, involves ID documents such as; proof of ownership/representative of your charity. In this segment, you will be asked to provide details of your date of birth, full name, position/role in the charity and your personal address.
9. You may also be asked for a photo ID. Stripe prefers passport identification however a driving licence can be uploaded here too. If you are uploading a driving license, be sure to scan both the front and back in order for it to be approved. All photo ID’s MUST be in colour and a clear copy.
10. You will then be asked to provide a ‘Proof of addess document’. This should be a document verifying your personal address and can be either a passport, local ID card, a utility bill from a well-known utility company or any others that prove your address. Please select just one document from the list they show you. Once doing so, press ‘Continue to upload’ to transfer this from your files.
Trustee Details That You May Need To Submit
11. Lastly, you will need to add a list of all the individuals who are part of the governing board of your charity. Simply press ‘Add a director’ to enter the details about your business directors. This means the charity Trustees, Chair or a member of the charity who has signatory responsibility for ensuring the charity meets its obligations.
Once you have provided everything Stripe have asked for, it won’t be long till they review your details and verify your charity, as long as everything is to their standard.
Further Assistance To Update Your Details On Givey
If you find you are struggling to understand Stripe’s form or their jargon, Givey has created this simple form instead, that includes all the information above. You simply need to fill out the details and submit your form. This will be sent to Gemma, (Givey’s Project Manager). She will then update your details for you and get you verified within 48 hours.
Please remember; if any important details change about your charity, you must visit the Onboarding tab to update Stripe and Givey. This will ensure your donations continue to reach you correctly and safely.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope this has been helpful!
All the best,
The Givey team.